What's the Role?You will be configuring our industry-leading, proprietary web-scraping system to acquire important, market-moving documents from websites as quickly as possible. You will collaborate with our partners in Bloomberg News to understand EMEA markets and extract maximum performance from our infrastructure. The documents you acquire will be used by our customers, our extraction team and News.
You will use your technical problem-solving skills and knowledge of web technologies to successfully acquire documents from websites. You will also be tasked with identifying opportunities to improve the efficiency of our processes by collaborating with the management & engineering teams to implement enhancements to the product.
What you can expect from this opportunity?You will take part in the Global Data Training Programme, which will help you build the foundation for your entire career at Bloomberg. You will enhance your financial knowledge, learn about our clients and their needs and build relationships throughout the company. The training will teach you financial concepts, data and the functions of our Terminal.
You will also receive comprehensive training in our proprietary web-scraping system, after which you will own a portfolio of coverage and be responsible for delivering successful acquisition for those companies. As your experience grows, you will have greater influence on Bloomberg's web document acquisition - whether that is through technical expertise, project management or leadership.
What we do in Content Acquisition:
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders in News to gather business intelligence and develop action plans
- Find the best way to acquire documents from companies who first report their earnings on the web and coordinate this coverage with News stakeholders
- Apply problem-solving skills to find the best way to acquire documents of different formats from different website architectures
- Customize scraping jobs to deliver the documents as quickly as possible
- Write Python scripts to optimize the acquisition and delivery of documents and metadata
- Work in Agile Scrum, as part of a combined document acquisition/extraction team
- Gather data to quantify the impact of the team’s efforts and build data visualizations
- Identify innovative work-flow improvements and enhancements to our processes and software
What we look for:
- A bachelor's degree, preferably with combined studies in Information Systems and Finance, or related business and STEM field
- Ability to recognize opportunities for process improvement, as well as devise and implement innovative solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic understanding of statistics and data modeling
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Eagerness to learn and collaborate with others
- Customer focused mindset
- Ability to work under pressure and in a frequently changing environment
We’d love to find someone who has:
- Built web crawlers to retrieve new content/documents from websites
- Programmatically extracted information from a variety of different document types
- Managed the delivery of simultaneous projects and successfully prioritized their tasks
- Used technology to enhance a workflow or product
- Designed business intelligence solutions to provide insights into a dataset
- Practical experience with a variety of front & back end web technologies
- Built production-quality code in a programming language such as Python
Does this sound like you?Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are! Please note this is a two stage application process, following the submission of your candidate details you will receive an email with directions to complete an online assessment. Your application will not be complete until you have submitted the assessment.
In the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.